Tuscany wine school and tours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tuscany wine school and tours

www.tuscanwinesociety.com

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» NEW!!! Tuscan Wine School
Wine tour questions EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 am by daoxiang

» Wine & Food festivals in Tuscany
Wine tour questions EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:55 am by daoxiang

» Olive Oil Fraud
Wine tour questions EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 6:03 am by daoxiang

» Ten people driving wine tour on S222
Wine tour questions EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 pm by Hal O

» best day of the month long stay
Wine tour questions EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 pm by pooker1963

» Best day in Italy
Wine tour questions EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:00 am by Wisctravelers

» Greatest Wine Tour Ever!!
Wine tour questions EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 pm by kacord

» Self directed wine touring
Wine tour questions EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 3:08 am by Rebecca in Tuscany

» Fantastic Tour
Wine tour questions EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 9:10 pm by nifwin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Wine tour questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
angela07

Wine tour questions Empty
PostSubject: Wine tour questions   Wine tour questions EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 pm

During my time in Tuscany, I would LOVE to do one of your wine tours of either a) Brunello di Montelcino and/or b) Chianti.

Questions:
1. My boyfriend and I plan to stay at a Bed & Breakfast called Le Camere di Bacco which was recommended by friends. Have you heard of it? Do you recommend it?

2. Is it possible to do a wine tasting tour with your company, and get picked up from the Montelcino bed & breakfast? Or would I have to be picked up from Florence?

3. Is it possible to walk to wineries from my bed & breakfast, or would I need to rent a car?
I have not been able to figure out how you do wine tasting in Tuscany -- do you need to make private reservations? Or can you simply arrive any time?

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your insights!

Angela
Back to top Go down
Rebecca in Tuscany
Admin
Rebecca in Tuscany

Wine tour questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wine tour questions   Wine tour questions EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 am

Dear Angela,
Thanks for posting your questions on the forum.
I have to admit that I’m not familiar with the B&B that you are referring to, so maybe that would be a question to give other travellers on Tripadvisor.
As to visiting the wineries around Montalcino while you are there, you really do need a form of transportation. There are a few wineries that you can walk to, but if there is any winery in particular that you would like to visit it’s likely to be a winery that isn’t walking distance. Remember that the denomination of Brunello di Montalcino is 25 km long and 25 wide and the roads are not straight Exclamation Montalcino is on the top of the hill, and so it is a good hike down the hill and then up if you want to walk anywhere. The best would be to have a car.
Plan ahead. Set up appointments in the wineries beforehand. Only a few wineries have tasting rooms where you can just stop by and be served a tasting and the ones that do are the most commercial. So if you want to visit any winery in specific, make appointments by email (you will find most of the emails on the web-site of the Consorzio del Brunello di Montalcino http://www.consorziobrunellodimontalcino.it/). Remember that a visit usually takes from a half to a whole hour so try not to schedule your appointments too close to each other. Whereas in other regions (Burgundy, California) you will taste half a dozen wines during a tasting, in Montalcino you can expect to taste just two wines.
Wineries with dedicated tasting rooms usually will charge a small tasting fee, which might be refundable if you buy something. Wineries that go by appointment may also charge for a visit & tasting – make sure to ask when you make the appointment to avoid an unpleasant surprise. In my experience the fees can vary from 5 Euro to 50 Euro per person so make sure you know ahead so you can plan how much you want to spend What a Face
If you go without appointments and are just driving around from place to place, you will be welcomed all the same, but perhaps you will not receive a tour all depending on how busy the people are in the wineries. In this case make sure not to drop in between 12.30 am and 2.30 pm as it is lunch time – and lunch is sacred to the Italians.
I hope this helps you a little to figure out how to approach the winery touring in Montalcino. Remember that a lot of the wine shops in Montalcino (Enoteca) offer tastings of the Brunellos from the various wineries as in for example the Fortress Enoteca which has an impressive amount of Brunellos open for tasting.
Have fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tuscan-wine-tours.com

Wine tour questions
Page 1 of 1